Ascension Church,  Madras



House

Reach us

23
Railway Colony
IV Street Aminjikarai
Chennai

600029
Tamilnadu

Phone : (044) 23743851


Members of the house
Fr. J. Kamal Raj
Fr. J. Arockia Doss
Fr. Esthapan T

In 1982, the Congregation of the Mission accepted a small chapel belonging to the Madras-Mylapore Archdiocese, existing in the M.H. Colony, Aminjikarai - Madras. It was looked after by Fr. Casmir Raj, the then Principal of Loyola College, Chennai. Fr. Sebastian Thozhuthuparambil was appointed as the father in-charge and remaining in the railway colony, he bought a house. Later a thatched church was built in the land donated by Fr. Casmir Raj. On July 13, 1982 the Mission was raised to a Parish and Fr. Sebastian Thozhuthuparambil was appointed the first Parish Priest. He built the present church and it was blessed on 12th September 1986. Meanwhile, vocational training courses like typing and tailoring were begun for the local unemployed youth. Madras was erected a canonical House in 1987 and Fr. Sebastian Thozhuthuparambil was appointed the first Superior. In 1989, Fr. Antony Netikat, C.M. started St. Vincent's Matriculation Higher Secondary School. At present, the school has more than 2500 students and the parish has more than 1750 families under it.


<< Go back to previous page